Christmas time bring up so many sweet memories. Spending quality time with family, playing games, playing outside and eating! This overnight casserole warms my heart when I make it, thinking of my mom pulling it out of the oven and setting it on her beautifully decorated table ready for our family to dig in Christmas morning.
I now use this recipe ALL the time. It is my go to recipe for our Saturday morning farm brunch’s. We have those about once a month or especially when the cousins are all out to visit. I always make this recipe and Gramma makes pancakes and bacon to feed all the hungry kiddos and men at the farm!
Overnight casseroles are amazing. I love them. This one I seem to almost always have the ingredients on hand and I can whip it up so quick before bed. In the morning, melt some butter and top dish with my crushed corn flakes and it’s ready to pop in the oven. Then by the time I am done running around like a crazy women trying to get my kids ready to go we can head to the farm for breakfast with casserole in tow!
Whether its for Christmas morning or just any busy morning, you need this crowd pleaser casserole in your life!
Ham- I used Toupee ham sandwich slices from the deli. Bacon is also a delicious choice in this dish
Sharp cheddar cheese- I like to use a good quality cheese and I prefer to slice it rather than grating the cheese, though both would work
Bread- the Texas toast is perfect for this because of its uniform shape, however I have used multigrain in this as well and it turns out delicious
Tips & Tricks
- I like to use bread that is a day or two old, this way it really soaks up that egg mixture
- You can make this recipe 24 hours ahead, if you like you can bake right away but it would be nice to let it soak in for about an hour before baking
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge and just reheat in the microwave
- This recipe is not suitable for freezing
How to Make Christmas Morning Wife Saver
Step one-Prepare your 9×13 baking dish by lightly greasing it with butter
Step Two- Lay your bread with the crusts cut off to fit the bottom of the dish (roughly 8 pieces depending on size of loaf
Step Three- Layer the ham over the bread
Step Four- Layer slices of cheese over ham
Step Five- Make another layer of bread to cover cheese (creating “sandwich”)
Step Six- In a serperate bowl whisk together the eggs and milk until smooth, add in your salt, pepper, Worcestershire and tabasco
Step Seven- Pour the egg mixture over you bread/ham/cheese in baking dish
Step Eight- Cover dish and let it rest in the fridge overnight
Step Nine- Preheat your oven to 350.C
Step Ten- Crush your cornflakes and top your dish
Step Eleven- Melt 1/2 of butter and pour over corn flakes
Step Twelve- Bake uncovered for one hour, let sit for 10 minutes before serving
Christmas Morning Wife Saver
- 16 slices White bread crusts removed
- 8 slices Ham
- 18 slices Sharp cheddar cheese
- 6 Eggs
- 3 cups Whole Milk
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1 dash Worcestershire sauce
- 1 dash Tabasco
- Prepare your 9×13 baking dish by greasing with butter
- Cover bottom of dish with bread (about 8 pieces depending on size)
- Layer ham on the bread
- Layer cheese on ham
- Place another layer on bread on top of ham and cheese to create "sandwich"
- In a separate bowl whisk together the eggs and milk until smooth
- Add in your salt, pepper, Tabasco and Worcestershire
- Pour egg mixture over your bread, ham and cheese
- Cover and let sit in the fridge overnight
- Preheat oven to 350°C
- Top your dish with you crushed corn flakes
- Melt 1/2 cup of butter and pour over your corn flakes
- Bake, uncovered for one hour, let sit for 10 minutes before serving!